Properties and Benefits of Bone China
Bone China, made from a hybrid hard-paste porcelain containing ox bone ash has the following properties:
- Bone China is extremely hard, and is stronger than hard-paste porcelain (due to the addition of the ox bone ash) and easier to manufacture.
- Bone China has a beautiful ivory white appearance which distinguishes it from hard-paste porcelain. (This is also is created by adding bone ash to the ingredients for hard-paste porcelain).
- Bone china is intensely white and will allow light to pass through it. You can check the quality or percentage of ox bone ash in a china piece by putting it up to a light source. The higher the quality of fine china, the more light that you can see through the fine china plate or piece.
- It is calcined bone which gives traditional English bone china its translucency and whiteness.
- The amount of calcined ox bone also allows the addition of more colourful patterns (or more colours to stain the china), thus bone china is usually has most the most exquisite patterens of all china, and those usually are the more expensive and costlier ones.